The animal print trend is a little like Marmite…. you either love it or you don’t, it’s as simple as that!
I can’t quite recall when I fell for animal but when I did, I fell hard, like REAL hard!! Like a moth to a flame I am drawn to anything and everything animal print. Shoes, bags, clothes, swimwear – don’t even get me started on swimwear and accessories – I am OBSESSED!
As far as I am concerned, leopard is a neutral.
Animal print in my opinion is a timeless classic that will never date. Like an LBD, a tailored blazer or an ageless trench coat, a fabulous leopard print pencil skirt, dress or pair of shoes will prove to be an essential backbone to your wardrobe. A failsafe item you can rely on when nothing else seems to fit.
If you are an animal print virgin I would recommend keeping it simple with either printed accessories to an all-black look or with a simple printed blouse under a tailored blazer and jeans – trust me nothing adds more pizzazz to a monochromatic look or a pair of jeans more than animal print!
- Tuxedo: Elie Saab Top: Gucci (similar) Shoes: Alexander McQueen (similar) Bag: Chanel (similar)
- Top: 16Arlington Skirt: 16Arlington Shoes: Alexander McQueen (similar) Bag: Chanel
- Top: Matalan Trousers: Philosophy di Lorenzo Seraphini Shoes: Gucci (similar)
Alternatively, if you are already an animal lover who isn’t afraid to mix it up, I recommend trying a new print such as zebra, snake, giraffe or tiger. You could also opt for a full look which mixes a couple of the prints together.
- Top: WolfordSkirt: Balmain Boots: Gucci (similar) Bag: Chanel
- Dress: Topshop (similar)Belt: Gucci (similar) Boots: Gucci (similar) Bag: Mark Cross
- Dress: Carolina HerreraBelt: Temperley (similar) Shoes: Aquazzura Bag: Mark Cross
Designers have also been playing with color over the past few seasons and I still have regrets not buying into the yellow velvet leopard Alex Perry offered for Fall 2019, and the red tiger print Philosophy di Lorenzo Seraphini launched for Pre-Fall 2019. So maybe Spring may be the season to try Gucci’s pink leopard jeans – thoughts?!
The good news is, is that with designers and the high street fully embracing the trend this season there are countless options at all price points available for you to experiment with.
Here are some of my not to be missed recommendations especially for you. Be bold, be brave my BC Fashionistas! GO WILD!!